Unexpected Road Trip

I've returned from what could best be described as a little adventure. Thursday, Lily had another episode of her illness and my local vet strongly advised I drive her to the University of Prince Edward Island Small Animal Clinic. In shock, I asked if we could go the next day and she suggested we get there as quickly as possible....so we did. I am forever grateful to my neighbours Jim & Nancy who are always available to help in a pinch. They kindly looked after Sienna for me while Lily and I headed out on our unexpected road trip. Lily was in her drooly, drunken state in the back while I tried to breathe calmly as we took off to unfamiliar territory. All was perfectly OK until we reached New Brunswick where I could see the snow coming towards us. As we headed over the bridge to PEI the wind howled and my fingers were white from gripping the steering wheel. I was told that it was easy to find Charlottetown and that I just had to stay on the road and I would get there. Turns out that was fantastic advice, because there were no signs to be seen, and the few small signs on the side of the road were totally snow covered. Twice I "spoke" to my Dad to give me strength and help me find my way. Both times a bird flew in front of my car toward the direction I chose to take. It amazes me how I feel him with me so often.

After tests and having her stomach "pumped" it appears my little Lily has a problem emptying her stomach. Seems food doesn't pass through easily. She may have always been this way, or for some reason her body has become "lazy". Instead of jumping in for surgery, I decided to try medicine and several small feedings a day, and just in case we have an episode over the holidays I have been shown how to give Lily an injection to put her into a "drunken" comfortable state. She need not be embarrassed of a little drool.

I must admit, I'm still a little shaky, and a little emotional. Our trip home was quite pleasant and both of my "girls" are finally resting comfortably. Hopefully, I too will soon relax enough to rest. Fingers crossed Lily will not have to suffer that kind of pain again, and if she does Wally is here to help her me through it.

XO Lisa.

No Response to "Unexpected Road Trip"

Post a Comment